Parama-shakti 100-Hour Yoga Practitioner's Training
The Parama-shakti 100-Hour Practitioner's Training is a comprehensive course that blends traditional wisdom with contemporary knowledge to support the development of a complete personal yoga practice. It was designed and will be led by Bluebird Sky Yoga teacher, Hari-kirtana das. This training is the best way for you to build a strong foundation for your practice, extend the range of your practice, and magnify the effects of your practice in every aspect of your life.
why choose the parama-shakti training
- It’s not Teacher Training, it’s Practitioner’s Training. Many yoga students enroll in a 200-hour yoga teacher training program because, until now, that’s been the only way for practitioners to dive into the deep end of the yoga pool. The Parama-shakti training is everything you would get in a teacher training without the components that are only applicable to aspiring teachers.
- It’s designed to benefit any serious practitioner. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned practitioner and no matter what type of body you have, your level of yoga knowledge and understanding will rise to new heights: you’ll never find yourself just sitting and thinking when you try to meditate or wondering what to do when you're on your mat.
- You’ll find your practice! We’ll show you how to understand what you feel in your body when you practice. And, through group discussion and experiential learning exercises, you’ll learn techniques to develop your personal realization of the wisdom of yoga and discover practical ways to apply yoga wisdom in your life.
how it works
The Parama-shakti training takes place on 6 weekends over a 10-week period, Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM; 7 hours each day, including a few short breaks to re-set mind and body and a one-hour break for lunch.
The curriculum is paced so that you’ll never feel overwhelmed, just overjoyed. Subjects are progressively interwoven so that you’ll see and feel how the various elements of yoga come together to form a complete, synergistic practice.
This is a fully participatory training: through guided practices, hands-on workshops, break-out group explorations, lively discussions, and experiential learning exercises, you’ll be actively involved and fully engaged every step of the way.
The Parama-shakti training consists of three main parts – guided practice, anatomy and physiology, and yoga philosophy – plus a home-study component that consists of reading assignments, writing exercises, and watching movies (BYOP). Here’s what you’ll do and what you’ll learn in this training program:
- Guided Practice: Group classes, workshops on breaking down the poses, workshops on breaking down the movements between poses, fundamentals of yogic breathing and pranayama, and techniques of object-oriented meditation.
- Anatomy and Physiology: General principles of biological anatomy, biomechanics for yogis, conceptual physiology: understanding your body, applied physiology: working with your body, and a comprehensive map of the subtle body: energy, winds, coverings, and qualities.
- Yoga Philosophy: Fundamentals of yoga philosophy, an introduction to the Yoga-sutras and the Bhagavad-gita, discernment between matter and spirit, the qualities of material nature, the psychology of yoga, the ethics of yoga, the yoga of action, the yoga of knowledge, and the yoga of devotion.
Hari-kirtana das – Lead Instructor
Hari is an E-RYT 500 registered yoga teacher, a graduate of the Jivamukti Yoga School’s 800-Hour Training and Apprenticeship program, and the author of In Search of the Highest Truth: Adventures in Yoga Philosophy. He started practicing yoga in 1972, spent his early twenties living full-time in yoga ashrams, and will lead you on a trip into yoga’s physical, psychological, and spiritual dimensions. You’ll learn how to cultivate a hyper-conscious asana practice, learn simple and effective pranayama and meditation techniques that will calm your mind and please your heart, and learn how traditional yoga philosophy offers both substantive answers to life’s most important questions and practical strategies for dealing with life’s most vexing challenges. Learn more about Hari at hari-kirtana.com.
MARY PARTLOW LAUTTAMUS – ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY
Mary is a student and teacher of integrative therapeutic yoga, which combines the ancient wisdom of yoga with a contemporary understanding of health and wellness. Formerly the Director of the Yoga Therapy Program at the Maryland University of Integrative Health, she guides students into a richer and more informative practice by elevating anatomy beyond just the movements of bones and muscles to an experience of strength, stability, flexibility, range of motion, and sensation associated with the inner landscape of subtle anatomy. Mary completed her training in yoga therapy with Integrative Yoga Therapy, Functional Yoga Therapy, and Yoga for Awareness of Cancer held at Duke Integrative Medicine. She’s a Certified Yoga Therapist (C-IAYT), Registered Yoga Teacher (E-RYT 500), has a Masters Degree in Social Work and is a certified Hudson Institute Coach. Mary is also on the Advisory Board for the International Association of Yoga Therapists, she maintains a private yoga therapy practice where she partners with her clients to help them learn to manage chronic health conditions, and is currently studying with Tias and Surya Little at Prajna Yoga in Santa Fe, NM. For more about Mary, visit her website: marypartlow.com.
Jennie Light - Standing Balance and Arm Balance Workshops
Jennie is the founder and owner of our host studio, Bluebird Sky Yoga. She started practicing yoga nearly a decade ago while living in Colorado and was immediately hooked. Across Jennie’s years studying yoga, she has fallen in love with many different lineages, in large part because of the diverse and inspiring teachers who have passed through her life. Through her classes, Jennie seeks to encourage students to grow as her teachers have done for her. Jennie completed her 200-hour Vinyasa and Power Yoga training with Mimi Rieger, a 50-hour Progressive Ashtanga Vinyasa (Rocket) training with David Kyle, and the 60-hour Primal Yoga® Flow training with Liz Arch. To learn more about Jennie, please visit jennielightyoga.com.
Janet Walkoe – Mula Bandha and Inversions Workshops
Janet took her first Ashtanga class in 2004, while living in Chicago, and has had a regular practice ever since. A former Ironman triathlete, Janet realized as her practice became deeper that the benefits of the practice extended well beyond the physical level: through her daily practice, she’s cultivated an inner peace that helps her stay centered amidst the intensity of modern urban life. Janet completed her 200-Hour training with Daren Friesen at Moksha Yoga Center and practiced the Ashtanga Intermediate Series with teachers Kino Macgregor, Todd Boman and Bridgett Piacenti. Janet is honored and excited to direct the Mysore program at Bluebird Sky Yoga. Off the mat, Janet is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Education at the University of Maryland, and the mother of a 6-year-old budding yogi. For more information about Janet, visit her website: www.yoga.walkoe.com
$1,250 Early Bird Special – single payment by December 3, 2016
$1,350 Installment Plan – $300 deposit, balance paid in three payments of $350, paid in full by January 7, 2017
$1,500 Late Bird / Slow-poke Plan – $300 deposit, balance paid in full between December 3, 2016 and January 21, 2017 - OR - $300 deposit, balance paid in four $300 installments by January 21, 2017
SPECIAL BLUEBIRD SKY MEMBERSHIP OFFER
Taking regularly scheduled classes with the Parama-shakti faculty is a supplementary part of the training. To make it super-easy for you to take classes, Bluebird Sky Yoga is offering participants in this training program a special membership deal: 10-weeks for only $165 – 33% off of the regular membership price. That’s just $16.50 a week, $5.50 per class if you take just three classes – pretty sweet.
After the course is over, Parama-shakti training participants are also eligible for an $89 per month membership at Bluebird Sky - $10 off the regular monthly membership price. To qualify, all you have to do is sign up for the membership before the end of the training.
Any tuition payment you make toward the Parama-shakti training is refundable, minus a $50 administration fee, up until December 15, 2016. After December 15, all but $300 of your tuition payment is refundable. You may transfer your registration to another yogi at any time.
Take the leap
"Your yoga practice has the power to make you fearless, peaceful, and free. I designed this training to help you discover that power." -Hari-kirtana das
If you have additional questions, please email email@example.com or fill out the form below.